Summer is almost here and it’s time to start thinking about UV swimwear for toddlers and babies. There’s lots to love about summer: warmer weather, longer daylight hours, days spent at the beach and hiking trips to name a few. But there are also health and safety issues to be conscious of too.
Toddler and baby skin is beautiful and soft which makes them especially vulnerable to both the suns rays and chemicals found in sunscreen. Buying infant UV protection swimwear is a great way to protect your child this summer because the fabric is UV resistant and with less skin exposed you only need to use a little bit of sunscreen.
Another advantage is that SPF swimwear will make getting ready for the beach much quicker. We all know how hard it is to apply sunscreen to a moving target and with less surface area to cover you’ll be out the door that much sooner. Add a sunhat and a pair of sunglasses and your tot is ready to swim.
I’ve compiled a selection of the best UV protection swimwear for kids and outlined the advantages of each brand and style. You’ll find several attractive one and two-piece sets for infant boys and girls.
One Piece UV Swimwear for Toddlers and Babies
Tuga Childrens UV Swimsuits
The Tuga swimwear line was created by parents looking to protect their children from harmful UV rays. Unable to find fashionable UV swimwear that was fun for kids to wear they set out to create their own line. The name Tuga is short for the Spanish word ‘tortuga’ which means turtle. You can see the turtle emblem proudly displayed on their swimwear.
Advantages of Tuga UV Sunsuits for Infants:
- UPF 50+, blocks 97.5% of UVA and UVB rays
- Chemical-free fabric
- Perfect for sensitive skin
- Lightweight and quick-drying material
- Zippered front makes the suit easy to put on and take off
- Baby and toddler sizes up to 2/3 years have snaps along inseam for easy diaper access, no need to take off the whole suit
- Fashionable design that kids will love to wear
- Several great colors for boys and girls
The sunsuits shown above fit just above the elbow and knees and are available in several attractive colors for boys and girls. The boys UV swimsuit comes in sapphire (shown), emerald, malachite and lapis. The girls sun protective swimsuit comes in lavender (shown), peoni and ruby. Both are available in 3 – 6 month, 6 – 12 month, 12 – 18 month, 2/3 years, 4/5 years and 6/7 years sizes.
NoZone UV Protection Swimwear for Kids
The NoZone Clothing Company was founded by parents seeking an alternative to chemical-laden sunscreens for their children. Aiming to create quality products that are ethically made all manufacturing takes place within the United States and Canada.
Advantages of NoZone Infant UV Protection Swimwear:
- UPF50+ (tested and rated by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA)), blocks over 97% of UVA and UVB rays
- Chlorine and salt resistant to ensure longevity of swimsuit
- Quick drying fabric designed to only absorb a very small amount of water
- Zippered front for easy dressing and removal
- Zippered inseam for easy diaper changes
- Assorted two-tone color schemes for boys, girls and gender neutral colors too
The legs and sleeves of the NoZone UV sunsuit are 3/4 length making them slightly longer than the Tuga sunsuits. There are 12 color combinations available (click through to Amazon to see the entire selection) available in 0 – 6 month, 6 – 12 month, 12 – 18 month and 18 – 24 month sizes.
Two Piece Infant Sun Protective Swimwear for Girls
i Play Two Piece UV Protective Swimwear for Girls
If you’re looking for a two piece set rather than a one-piece sunsuit then i Play has some really adorable matching rashguard and diaper sets. i Play was created by a health conscious mother who still loves to educate her clients about baby product health and safety issues.
Advantages of i Play Two Piece UV Swimwear for Girls:
- Stretchy rashguard (easy on and off) with curved hemline for maximum coverage
- Matching reusable swim diaper – no need to buy disposable swim diapers
- Swim diaper provides triple protection: 1) Snug, fitted legs and waist prevent bacteria from entering the diaper, 2) Outer layer is waterproof to help prevent leakage, 3) Inner layer wicks away moisture to keep your child’s skin dry
- Machine washable
- Stylish and cute
The two piece swim sets for girls are available in five cute styles: Hot Pink Daisy (shown), Periwinkle Dragonfly, Fuchsia Buttercup, Aqua Anglefish and Lime Cherry. Available for baby and toddler girls in 3 – 6 month, 6 – 12 month, 12 – 18 month, 18 – 24 month and 2 – 3 year sizes.
Two Piece SPF Swimwear for Baby & Toddler Boys
i Play UV Protective Rashguards and Swimming Trunks for Baby and Toddler Boys
i Play also has UV swimwear for boys in many fun patterns. Please not that although the rashguards and swimming trunks create matching sets they need to be purchased separately.
Advantages of i Play UV Swim Sets for Boys:
- Quick drying, strechy pullover rashguard is great for active play
- Swim trunks have an i Play Ultimate swim diaper built in so there is no need to buy disposable swim diapers
- The Ultimate swim diaper provides three levels of protection to keep out harmful waterborne bacteria, prevent leakage and protect your child’s skin from moisture
- Swim trunks have functional pockets so your little man will feel like a big boy
- Machine washable
- Fun and funky designs
The rashguard and swim trunk sets are available in many awesome designs that both parents and little boys will love: Navy Submarine (shown), Black T-Rex, Red Scorpion, Aqua Fire Truck, Green Penguin, Navy Turtle, Orange Surf Car and Red Killer Whale.
i Play UV swimwear for toddlers and babies is available in 6 month, 12 month, 18 month, 24 month, 3T (2-3 year) and 4T (3-4 year) sizes.
Featured Image: Mother and Child on the Beach, Public Domain Image from Pixabay